7.06.2006

Show at the Spot


Hip hop was on display in all its glory at the EDO.G and Sadat X show wed. night at "the spot". First you should know that "the spot" is a venue in charlotte that prior to being a home for smoking drinking and other various unmentionable acts 1212 Pecan Ave. was a house of worship. Which turned out to be verty fitting as much homage was being paid to two saints of the underground and their many deciples that served for impressive opening acts. Charles Herron rocked the crowd with a great stage performance, ninja science team and mad p brought a little harmony into the mix,verbal kent and eratik statik repped chi-town to the fullest,and the others showed once again why they're the kings of the queen city. I missed pottersfield mc's and tableek (sorry guys). But I was there for EDO G, and as I anticipated it was the best set of the night. He went through the new the old,the familiar, the unfamilar, dj premier, pete rock and a new track prod by Marco Polo (look out for that!!!). Then came Sadat X who was sabotaged by the soundman (happens to the best of 'em). He still held it down spitting his many hip hop quotables acapella adn promised the crowd a make-up show next time hes in town. Hmmmmm.......what else am I forgetting?.........


OH YEAH I INTERVIEWED EDO G!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q:In 1991 you and Da' Bulldogs came out with "Life of a Kid in the Ghetto, which gained crtical acclaim and boasted a #1 singleon the charts as well.It seems like these days that type of success is more expected of a new artist. What would you say the differences are between you coming in the game in 1991 and new artist coming in 2006?

EDO G:I think that the industry is in a different mindstate than when I came in. They are really more about promoting the more negative aspects of music.But the thing about a cat that comes along now, as opposed to back then is similar to basketball. You know, you had your era with the jordans, birds,magics and now you have Lebron. So the era today is just a result of our changing times.But overall I think the industry is in a good state, where an artist can come out independent, be an entrepernuer and really make it happen for themselves.

Q:Considering the years right after your initial success, how important do you think it is for rappers and especially so called "underground" rappers to go independent or sign to an indy label?

EDO G: Depends on the artist really. Because if you want to be an entrepernuer; you can save your money, come out totally independent, and reap all the benefits. But for those who don't have the money or opportunity to do that, signing with an independent that has money to put your project out is the next best thing.

Q: I think your ablum "My Own Worst Enemy" was some of your best work. Most if not all of the tracks on that album were produced by Pete Rock right?

EDO G: Yeah, he produced 7 out of the 11 tracks on the cd.

Q: What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages with having one producer handling most of the project?

EDO G: I don't think there are any real disadvantages to that, it just depends on what you do with the tracks. I thinbk its good, maybe more people should do that. That way you can get that one sound, that whole kinda cohesiveness throught an entire album.But personally, Im a free agent. Im just tryin to work with whoever has the hottest beats.

Q:Its, funny you say that. Because in my opinion alot of rappers both rookies and veterans in the game have alot of trouble choosing beats.How did you go about choosing beats for "My Own Worst Enemy" and What do you look for in a beat?

EDO G: I just have an ear for it, alot of people don't have that.Certain cats just don't know a good beat when they hear it. For the most part I just go with what I like and most of the time when you do that people will agree.

Q:So do you think its more important to make art for you first and then let the fans catch up?

EDO G:Well, I definately think that people should just conform and do whats popular at the moment.I mean, if your not feeling it in your heart than its not heartfelt and that will show in the music.So, if you love the beat the fans will to because they know that its something that you appreciated.

Q:Speaking of that, with the "superstar" status attributed to producers like Just Blaze, Kanye West, Pharrell, and most recently 9th Wonder....Do you think its a producers game these days. In other words, are they running the show right now?

EDO G: Well, all those guys are dope and make hot beats, but in general I think it is.I think its easier for the dj's and producers to constantly stay above water and remain relevant because they don't have to compete all the time. Its a double edged sword dj's and producers are getting their time now, whereas in the past it may have just been a couple of producers that are really on top.

Q: I think that the producers that were doing their thing in the past have really gotten lost in the shuffle, which is part of the reeason why artist cant choose beats.

EDO G: I agree if most of these artist would just read the credits of their favorite albums thaey could look and say "ok this is a guy I need to mess with".I mean, you can take a Dj Premier who is from the old school but still doing his thing, his sound is just timeless. Some people may not see him as a big name but he still makes amazing music.

Q: Ok...Give me a quick run through of the Boston scene, aritst people should be looking for.

EDO G: Well, my man Slain, my man J Son he's in my group Special Teamz, Acrobatics got a new ablum comin out,Insight, Team 220. Man there's so many people too many to name them all.But those are the cats that I definately think will be makin alot of noise this year.

Q: What rap releases are you looking forward to, commercial underground or otherwise.

EDO G: Nobody. Im not a big purchaser, I actually buy more r&b than rap.

Q:Well, the last album I bought was the Busta Rhymes CD

EDO G: Yeah I like that one, its got some hot joints on there. Q tip, Dre ,Raekwon did their thing. Basically, if its hot I'll support it.

Q: What track do you think fans most anticipate hearing you perfomr at a show?

EDO G: Of course its gotta be "I Gotta Have It". But I think in the next couple of years there will be some new joints that people will look forward to hearing live.

Q: Whats next for you and Sadat X? Any more show dates?

EDO G: Yeah, actually 3 more dates; St. Louis Milwaukee and Chicago. Then im headed to back Boston and then up to New York. Im actually trying to organize a tour with Erratik Statik, Cali Agents and Sean Price. All our new albums should be out around the time we go on the road.

No comments: