6.12.2007

R.I.P. Stack Bundles




When I first heard that "Stack Bundles died" I immediately yelled WHAT!?! Totally involuntary, thinking back on it I don't think I could've helped it even if I wanted to. As a BIG follower of all music and especially the N.Y. mixtape scene, this news seems as unbelievable now as it did when I first heard it on hip hop game. By now its all over the net, yet no REAL conclusive information has been released about the murder other than that it is believed to be a robbery and that there are no suspects.

I was first introduced to Stacks through his collabs with byrdgang as I am a big dipset fan (hate if u want i don't care). I was drawn by his distinctive voice, surprisingly agile wordplay, and his confident swagger. He definitely set himself apart from the other 8 million gangstas ternt rappers in N.Y. As withh any rapper I like I started to watch him on youtube and catch him on the DVD's coming out on the mixtape circuit. I liked the way he handled himself, he seemed humble yet dedicated to his idea of hip hop and dedicated to his neighborhood of "Far Rockaway". In the end that was his demise as he was shot in the lobby of his apartment building there. Although he was making more than enough to move away, his neighbors say he was determined to stay. People often say that he could be seen driving his Porche and always had a couple of chains on. At least one of those chains are believed to be what was taken of his person after he was shot.

My feelings are mixed, upon the news of Stacks untimely passing. He kind of represents the everyman more than B.I.G. or Pac or Pun or maybe even Big L. Although not even close to as note-able as those aforementioned rappers he definitely had talent which may have garnered that type of celebrity if given enough time. But my point is he was a VERY YOUNG BLACK MAN LIVING IN THE HOOD. Something many people can identify with. B.I.G, Pac and the lot we're superstars by their death although not appreciated until after. B.I.G and Pac's deaths were both shrouded in mystery as they were in a very public beef. Though if you ask me the police killed them both. But my point is Stacks death was so....regular. unfortunately this happens to young black men every day. In that respect, I think his death carries a lot more weight. Stacks had no notable enemies, he wasn't as much of a target because he didn't have alot of money, just more money than the person who robbed and killed him. The most important part is that he wasn't killed on his wat to or from a lavish vegas party, he was killed in his own neighborhood, where he was born and raised, with friends and family literally feet away.

I believe that the death of up and coming rapper Stack Bundles, will serve as a great example to the otherwise ignorant public to what exactly life is liike for young black me in the ghettos of America. This is the story of the haves and the have-nots, the come up, and the dangers of staying in the hood for TOO LONG. As a middle class African-American my neighborhood is a place that will always feel like home, where I am always welcome and loved. In the projects and low income neighborhoods today, their environment is a place that they all work hard to escape, where they have to look over their shoulder, where anyone will do anything to make enough dough to move away forever. People need to know that this death has nothing to do with "hip hop" or the perceived violence within. Unfortunately this, for lack of a better phrase is "an every day thang". Once the politicians, and soccer moms realize that maybe they'll realize that Art imitates life and NOT the other way around.

R.I.P. Stacks, although I didn't know you personally, I got to know you through your music and I know you were a good dude. My condolences go out to his family and all who were affected by this tragedy.

Here's how i'll always remember Stack Bundles...

1. Jim Jones ft. Stack Bundles & Max. B- Do Bad By Myself (Jim Jones: Members of Byrd Gang) July '06
2. Jim Jones ft. Stack Bundles & Max B- Too High(DJ Lust: The Weatherman)March '07
3. Stack Bundles- Blaze the Booth (DJ Big Mike: Whats Beef 2k7) January '07
4. Stack Bundles- Mr. 19.5 (DJ Plus: New Gun In Town Vol. 1) April '07

No comments: